top of page

Liver anemone


This flower, known as the liver anemone, belongs to the Ranunculaceae family and can be found in virtually all not very dry forests in the northern hemisphere. However, it should not be forgotten that this flower is toxic if consumed directly.


Its name finds its origin in the Middle Ages, in which the shape of the leaves of the flower was assimilated with that of the liver. For this reason, following the theory of signatures, which preached that physical similarity meant a cure for this disease, it was used to treat liver diseases, causing poisoning in patients due to its high protoanemonin content.


Indeed, this plant cannot be ingested directly as it is toxic. In fact, it only has medicinal effects in the form of infusions, only from the leaves, or topically to treat wounds or eczema.

Comments


bottom of page